Frequently Asked Questions
Lawn Tips | Lawn Services | Customer Service
- How tall should I cut my grass, or what setting should my mower be on?
- We recommend cutting your Fescue grass on the highest mower setting, around 3.5-4”. Tall grass blades lead to a stronger root system. Bermuda and Warm Season lawns should be mowed between 2-2.5″ which allows the grass to grow horizontal and creates a thicker turf.
- Can I mow right after a treatment?
- Yes, you can mow after a treatment, but wait 1-2 hours for your grass to dry. Remember not to bag your clippings. Recycling the clippings to your lawn returns the nutrients into the soil and helps with the development of beneficial organic matter.
- What should I do with my grass clippings?
- It’s best to leave your clippings on the lawn. The clippings return nutrients to the soil and help with the development of beneficial organic matter.
- What should I do with my leaves?
- It’s important to remove leaves from your lawn, because they block the sunlight from reaching your turf. We recommend using a leaf blower, but if you choose to use a rake, please be mindful of young seedlings.
- When is the best time to water?
- It’s best to water early in the morning, between 4-7 A.M. when the water evaporation loss is the lowest.
- How much should I water and how do I measure?
- You should water 2-3 times per week, aiming for 1-1.5” of water total per week. The best way to measure your watering is by placing small cans in your yard to collect both rain water and water from the sprinkler.
- Should I water before or after an application?
- There are typically no special watering instructions for before or after an application. Keep to the normal recommendation to water as needed 2-3 times a week, aiming at 1-1.5” per week.
- What services does Virginia Green perform?
- Virginia Green specializes in applications of fertilizers and weed control to keep your lawn and landscape looking its best. We apply products throughout the year to maintain a healthy, beautiful lawn. Virginia Green offers free estimates for any of our services. Additionally, we offer a program for Ornamental Trees and Shrubs which includes fertilization, insect and disease control. We even perform Aeration and Seeding and Perimeter Pest Control.
- Does Virginia Green use liquid or dry granular materials to treat turf?
- Virginia Green uses liquid materials for fertilizers, weed control, fungicides, insecticides and pre-emergent. We also use a granular form in our lime and fall fertilizer applications.
- Are your lawn technicians certified?
- All of Virginia Green’s technicians have a current State of Virginia pesticide license, with certification in tree and ornamental’s.
- Can I schedule the time/day my lawn is treated?
- No, you cannot schedule your time and day of treatment, but if you desire, we can call you 24-hours in advance to inform you of when we will treat your lawn.
- When can children and pets return to the treated areas?
- Your children and pets can return to the treated areas once your lawn is dry, which is typically in 1-2 hours after a treatment is applied. Factors such as high humidity and cooler temperatures will increase the time needed for your lawn to dry.
- Which lawn care program should I choose?
- Virginia Green offers Premium and Estate Lawn Care programs. We can provide a quote, and our account managers will help you determine the right plan for your lawn. Learn more about our two programs.
- How much do the services cost?
- Cost for most services is determined by the square foot of your lawn and the areas you decide to have treated.
- How often do you apply treatments?
- Once service begins, treatments will be completed approximately every four to eight weeks.
- Do I need to be home during a treatment?
- You do not need to be home during a treatment unless that’s what you prefer.
- Does Virginia Green mow lawns or provide other services?
- Virginia Green does not mow lawns. We partner with a number of professional landscape companies. Please refer to our partners page for more information.
- How do I log-in to the Virginia Green portal?
- From the portal login page (which you can also get to from the yellow button in the top right corner of this page), enter your email address and password if you have an existing account. If you don’t, click “Create A Login” which will prompt you to put in your account number, house number only (do not include your street name), your zip code, and your email address. You will then receive an email to reset your password and finish setting up your account.
- How do I make payments?
- Our online customer portal makes payments quick and easy, while letting you see previous and upcoming services, sign up for additional services, and more. Please see the instructions above on setting up your account or accessing our customer portal.
- You will receive an email invoice after each application. Payment for each service is due upon application (unless paid in advance).
- What areas do you service?
- Virginia Green services the Richmond, Midlothian, Williamsburg, Charlottesville, and Fredericksburg metropolitan areas. We service areas in specific designated zip codes. If you have any questions whether your zip code or area is serviced, please call us at 804-285-6200.
- Where are Virginia Green’s headquarters located?
- Virginia Green’s corporate office is located in Richmond, Virginia.
- Is my service guaranteed?
- At Virginia Green Lawn Care, we guarantee 100% customer satisfaction. It’s really very simple – Virginia Green does not want any unhappy customers. We’ll go to great lengths to make sure every customer is satisfied. As long as you follow the required steps of watering, mowing, and caring for your lawn, your lawn will turn out its best.
Sign up here to receive periodic emails about lawn care tips, current lawn issues and our Lawn of the Month winners.